Monday, September 14, 2009

The Road less travelled

Dear friends
I trust that the arrival of spring has re awakened your zest for life. I certainly feel a sense of renewal on the one hand at the same time feeling resolved with the choices I have made especially with regard to my choice to practice as an integrated doctor.
There are times when its necessary to look back at where you have come to appreciate the sacrifice of walking the road less travelled. I recently filled in at a GP practice where I saw an inconceivable 40 patients in one short day. This re affirmed my choice to sell my GP Practice and work in a more holistic way. For me it was soul destroying to consult with a patient for 10 mins who walked out with nothing but a script in hand.
It was also a humble acceptance for me that my journey as an integrated practitioner has only just begun . At times I feel overwhelmed by all the knowledge yet to be gained and although my medical training has given be a solid basis for the work that I do, I realise that there is so much that I need to unlearn.
So i invite you to journey and discover with me as I grow and mature into the exciting world of the bodymind. Each month I will discussing the integrated approach to conditions that I come across most commonly in my practice in order that you are better equipped to make choices with regards to your health.
This month I will be tackling the cholesterol issue.
Please feel free to contact me with suggestions and feedback.
Namaste
Dr Ela

The Cholesterol Myth

Cholesterol is a natural fat substance that is necessary for the formation of cell membranes and the production of hormones, Vit D and bile salts.
We have been made to believe that a high cholesterol level is the major predictor for cardiovascular disease. Although, it is an important factor to be considered, research is now showing that it needs to be seen in context of a range of other factors.
It is also now being shown that it is the oxidised form of cholesterol(oxy cholesterol) that is dangerous and sticks to the wall of damaged or inflamed blood vessel walls. Oxidation occurs when there is an excess of free radicals in the blood from smoking and ingestion of toxins from the diet and environment.
Other risk factors for Cardiovascular disease that can be influenced
Ø Bad diet
Ø Obesity
Ø Sedentary habits
Ø Type 2 diabetes
Ø Smoking
Ø Stress
Dr Bernard Brom, editor of the SA Society for Integrated Medicine newsletter quotes an article is written by a very well known Integrative Cardiologist in America, Dr Stephen Sinatra and is called “Clearing up the cholesterol confusion”

1. Most cardiologists think that I am nuts and don’t know what I am talking about and that high cholesterol is a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease.

2. I no longer buy into the cholesterol-lowering frenzy that has turned the medical profession into one big vending machine for statins. Eg Lipitor


3. The French had the highest average cholesterol in Europe, but also the lowest incidence of heart disease.

4. On the island of Crete a 10 year study failed to register a single heart attack despite high cholesterol levels.


5. Half of all heart attacks occur in people with ‘normal’ total cholesterol.

6. Arteriosclerosis is due to inflammation of arterial tissue and not high cholesterol. Cholesterol plays a role, but not even a leading role, in the inflammatory response. Cholesterol appears whenever there is arterial destruction due to the inflammation.


7. Hypercholesteremia is not a disease, but a physiological variant in most people.

8. Newer tests will become more important. They examine the various fractions of HDL and LDL, which are a more sensitive index of disease.

His recommendations are as follows:

For high Cholesterol levels he suggests lifestyle modification, weight reduction and lots of fibre. Statins only if there is evidence of arterial disease.Don’t bring the cholesterol levels down too low, as this is associated with cancer, aggression, cerebral haemorrhage, amnesia and could affect the ability to combat infections.


So what should Integrative doctors advice their clients?

Doctors really need to take into account all the risk factors, and cholesterol is only one of them. These include lipoprotein a, homocysteine, fibrinogen, blood pressure, fasting glucose, weight, BMI and lifestyle factors such as stress, family history, age and sex, personality type, exercise and diet. Are clients prepared to change lifestyle or not and how far are they prepared to go. The more risk factors the stricter one should be about lifestyle and diet and the more nutritional supplements required

If you are concerned about your cholesterol level or would like to know more about a more holistic approach to managing the risks of cardiovascular disease, please call me for an appointment.
Namaste
Dr Ela
Woodlands Centre of Wellbeing and Spa
dr.ela@healingatwoodlands.co.za
082 330 6915

No comments:

Post a Comment